[Amps] watts unlimited smps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] watts unlimited smps
From: "Johan" <on4iq@telenet.be>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:40:48 +0000
here is some info on the watts unlimited PS.

Being part of the J3/K5AND group running this smps in a 8877 amp we have
run into some serious issues with this PS.

The local power system on Grenada does not allow us to use this PS.
The power system used here is a phase and neutral, where the neutral
is grounded.This creates a ground loop after the bridge rectifier this
tripping the resorts fuses.

I had a long look at the schematic and bottom line is that this power
supply will never work in these specific power line configuration.
We had a look at the manualand its not specified that under these
conditions the ps will not work.

You can ONLY work if you have a floating AC line. Now these power
systems are used throughout the world, so you'd better check before using
it on a expedition.

The only suggestion I can make is to have a isolation transformer in
front of it,but whats the point of using a light weight PS?

Johan