[Amps] GU-84B Cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] GU-84B Cooling
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:53:19 -0500
On a webpage somewhere, I cant remember now where, I read about the GU-84B
(4CX1600) having an undersized radiator. I think it was on a Russian amateur
website. What I had read was this tube was actually designed for running in a
missle by the Russians, and was designed for a 1 time use. So, they undersized
the radiator a good bit because of space limitations. They were making the
comparison to a 4CX1500's radiator size being larger in the discussion. However
the guts of the GU-84B supposed to be really good. So this brings the delima of
how to cool it so one would get a long life out of it. One way would be add
some sort of extra aluminum heat fins, or some made of brass, with fins
sticking out to catch more air, thus increasing the overall surface area. The
only other way would be to increase the amount of air flow and volume over the
fins that's there. When doing this though, the noise goes up from the blower.
However, if one is going to dealve into using the GU-84B, I'd s
 uggest looking into this and compare the sizes between its radiator and the
one for the 4CX1500. Even though the tube is cheaper than some others, it's
still expensive if you have to re-tube all the time. If I can remember where I
seen this, I'll post the link.

Best,

Will