[Amps] SB-220 diode failure

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 diode failure
From: John Adkins <w4kv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:05:52 -0700 (PDT)
My sb220 cooked one of the diodes on the pc board a couple of days ago.  I
replaced the faulty one
with a 1kv piv 2.5 amp substitute that was in my junk box.  Resoldered the
wires back to the pc
board, reassembled it, and fired it up.  When I went to tune the amp up, with
no exciter power, I
get a plate current of 200 ma instead of the 120 ma the manual indicates should
be seen.

HV is 2.2 kv on low power, 2.8 kv on ssb.

The manual suggests that the zener may be blown.

What do you think?  Should I just get the Harbach rectifier/metering board
substitute for the
original pc board and eliminate the zener altogether?  Other suggestions for
troubleshooting this?

Thanks

John
w4kv