Re: [Amps] Sort Start

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sort Start
From: Ian White G/GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:33:34 +0100
Larry Carman wrote:
>The Henry RF generator using a 4 KW power supply at 4000 VDC and a filter
>choke
>only use a .5 second soft start. The 1/2 second delay seems to be plenty
>even
>with 30 mf of caps and no filter choke.  I've been running this arrangement
>or years. Too much soft start in certain instances will cause the bypass
>relays
>to energize too slow and cause relay clattering amongst other problems.

Agreed - most step-starts take way too long.

When the step-start is about right, the first and second current steps
will be about equal. You can tell this, near enough, by comparing the
loudness of the two thumps from the transformer.

The relative size of the two current steps depends on both the delay
time and the value of the series resistor.

If you don't have any startup current limiting at all, the current surge
is big, but the filter caps are fully charged within the first 4-5 mains
cycles (<100ms) and then it's all over. A step-start shouldn't take much
more than twice that long, so a nice brisk 'ker-lick' from the switch
and the relay (or two relays) is about right... so that's something like
0.5s, or 1s tops.

Too long a delay will simply overheat the series resistor, but with no
advantage.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek