[Amps] One PS, many amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] One PS, many amps
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:32:55 +0000
Ian G/GM3SEK wrote:

The decoupling ?C? will provide the RF return paths for the input and output but provide the DC isolation.

But only at the risk of RF instability in each amp.

Agreed - it would need some care in the layout etc. However having said that remember that the SB-220 series amps use a choke/capacitor combination between the grid and the chassis. That's a combination which I would have thought would have been a recipie for all manner of problems - but it somehow seems to work.

There must be some reasoning why Heathkit used that arangement but I'm afraid it's lost on me.

I think it can be done by leaving each amp as-is, and adding a series diode from each Ia meter to the common B-minus return. If you trace the current paths, each amplifier's anode current returns via the cathode and its own individual Ia meter. The diodes force each amp's grid current to flow in its own tight local loop.

It gets more complicated when you also add glitch protection diodes on the B-minus rail and around the meters. Then the diode voltage drops have to be counted much more carefully to make sure the circuits really do stay isolated.

Sounds complicated. My arrangement is realtively simple and adding the glitch protection diodes shouldn't upset the isolation. Also the "Safety R" is a convenient detection point for PSU shut down in the event of an arc (assuming that the arc is from anode to grid). It would also be necessary to add a spark gap or similiar device across the "C" to both protect the "C" and provide a path for the arc current.

73s

David G4FTC