[Amps] Difference 2K and 3K

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Difference 2K and 3K
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:05:51 -0600
My 2K Classic X has separate filament and power transformer and supplies 4Kv on
SSB and 3Kv on CW, that is resting voltage.  The power supply has a choke in it
too and the voltage sag on full power is only 200 volts.
It has fixed caps on the plate, a roller inductor, and is a PiL tuned output.
With 3-500ZG matched pair little color shows on low power some color on high
power.  The blower is a tad noisy but very tolerable as it supplies ample air.
I put a rheostat on the filament transformer primary as the filament voltage
was on the high side with the 220 volt main I have here closer to 240 volts.
This heavy rheostat brought the filament voltage to the lower limit on the
tubes and should extend life by a long time.