Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-811 (3 tube model)

To: jsb@digistar.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-811 (3 tube model)
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:16:20 -0800
On Dec 24, 2005, at 12:39 PM, jsb@digistar.com wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've got an AL-811 with a bad relay.  Just wondering if anyone knew the
> part # and how I go about getting another?  I bypassed the relay with
> jumper wire and alligator clips and it works fine. I believe the
> contact
> pad for the side that connects to the "RF Out" jack is ruined.

A conventional relay is too slow to keep up with a modern radio, so the
contacts hot-switch.  The long term fix may be to install high-speed
switching.
http://www.somis.org/D-a-07B.jpg
Another source of hot-switching is the AL-811's RF actuated switching
since the relay does not start to switch from Rx to Tx until RF is
already coming down the pipe.   The fix for this is to allow the radio
to control the amplifier relay.

cheerz, Jason.