Re: [Amps] Ten Tec HERC II model 420 ---- TSPA

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten Tec HERC II model 420 ---- TSPA
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:03:27 -0600
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:02:41 -0700, John T. M. Lyles wrote:

>I just got 3 of these from a discontinued scientific project here. We
>are using one to drive a resonator which is used to flip the spin of
>ultra cold neutrons which get polarized in a superconducting
>solenoid. It is running about 200 watts CW now at 29 MHz, and we
>would like to get it up to 500 but the Ten Tec is not rated for 500 W
>CW, only SSB or 50% DF I believe. I am looking at another amplifier,
>made by Kalmus for the final install. The Hercules II is a nice
>little package however. The power supply is not.

According to the manual, the 420 (Herc II) is rated 550 watts output CW,
RTTY, and SSB, 1 kW input; SSB is rated for continuous operation, CW/RTTY
is rated for a 50% duty cycle with maximum continuous key-down of 15
minutes. Efficiency and drive required vary a bit from one band to another.

>From conversations on various email lists, I have learned that many owners
of the Herc II use it with some P/S other than the TenTec (which they say
is rated 100A, and designed to run both the amp and the exciter at 100w).
One popular configuration is a deep-charge battery with a suitable float
charger. Another is a pair of Astron 70A units (which is what I am using).
FWIW, it should run just fine on SSB on one of the Astron 70A supplies.
Because I mostly work CW, I use two.

Jim Brown  K9YC