Re: [Amps] RE : Solid state amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : Solid state amp
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:28:12 -0400
If one wanted, and according to what transistor / fet is used, can build a
decent solid state amp at a reasonable price. That is including the filter
networks. I hate to say this, but the CB community (some models) have advanced
more in the mobile solid state department than the amateur community over the
FCC looking down upon the manufacture of broadband amps. There's not too many
amateur solid state amps if you look, and the ones from Henry, and a few others
will set you back a small fortune. Since the CB market has mass produced these,
the parts are available pretty cheap on the market. One can go to Westgate
Parts and buy every component to build one. Most of the large CB ones out now
are using Manhattan style construction, and anyone else can too. That gets you
out of using etched PC boards. Even at that, with what's available now, etching
a PC board can be done cheap (positive sensitized boards), or buying a custom
from someone like Far Circuits which is pretty cheap. I've been contemplating
doing a small one myself!

The one at the link Jos provided look's pretty darn good from the outside, but
before I would pass judgement, I'd have to see the innards. Which that goes
with any amp for me. I don't like buying a pig in a poke. (a poke is a bag in
hillbilly terms, hi hi!).

Best,

Will