[Amps] Flash arcs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Flash arcs
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:41:03 +0200 (CEST)
Jim said:
>Which "Journal of the IEEE" are we talking about?<
Never said a word about the IEEE.
In the 1850's there was set up in London a 'Society of Electricians'. In the
1860's or thereabouts, they became the 'Institution of Telegraph Engineers',
and at some stage a few years later, they became the 'Institution of Electrical
Engineers' or IEE. In 2005 they became the IET.
Because title 'IEE' was taken, the American equivalent  was called the AIEE -
American Institute of Electrical Engineers. In a similar way, we got the
BritIRE - British Institute of Radio Enginers, which amalgamated with the IEE
in the late 1980's, in the same way as the AIEE and IRE merged to become IEEE
in 1963.
So there are learned bodies outside the US.
73
Peter G3RZP - Senior Member, IEEE