[Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:13:26 -0400
My, I seem to have tweaked a sensitive spot with all you ameritron
lovers(not capitalized on purpose).  I can see where appliance operators
would love them, just buy it, bring it home and plug it in.  What could be
easier?
And when it goes belly up, just get on the Amps reflector and ask for
help(an almost daily occurrence).  Life is good.  Of course, you could take
the same money that you spent on the MFJ amp and build your own and have
some pride about it and money left over, but this is too much to ask from
most of our current amateur radio fraternity.  BTW, the next time you're at
a hamfest that has an ameritron booth,  compare their product with any other
amp maker an if can't see the differences, maybe you're in the wrong hobby.
Price can't be the reason that so many hams buy them, since you can either
homebrew your own or buy some of the fine used amps on the market, example,
why would one spend $850 on a AL-811H when you can find a 30L-1 for
considerably less?  An AL82 for $1300 instead of a L4B? Come on guys, you're
smoking that cheap stuff.

I love this reflector.

Bob Maser  W6TR