Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: <harolddcraft@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:25:01 -0400
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 12:13 AM
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

> My, I seem to have tweaked a sensitive spot with all you ameritron
> lovers(not capitalized on purpose).  I can see where appliance operators
> would love them, just buy it, bring it home and plug it in.  What could be
> easier?
> And when it goes belly up, just get on the Amps reflector and ask for
> help(an almost daily occurrence).  Life is good.  Of course, you could
> take
> the same money that you spent on the MFJ amp and build your own and have
> some pride about it and money left over, but this is too much to ask from
> most of our current amateur radio fraternity.  BTW, the next time you're
> at
> a hamfest that has an ameritron booth,  compare their product with any
> other
> amp maker an if can't see the differences, maybe you're in the wrong
> hobby.
> Price can't be the reason that so many hams buy them, since you can either
> homebrew your own or buy some of the fine used amps on the market,
> example,
> why would one spend $850 on a AL-811H when you can find a 30L-1 for
> considerably less?  An AL82 for $1300 instead of a L4B? Come on guys,
> you're
> smoking that cheap stuff.
>
> I love this reflector.
>
> Bob Maser  W6TR

Me too.  I enjoy identifying the arrogant elitists who look down their noses
toward anyone who happens to view a situation in a different light than
themselves.  Reminds me of the of the attitude prevalent in the main frame
room when the personal computer made its debut.  They were jerks also!

Dean  --  W4IHK