Re: [Amps] High Temp Silicon Rubber -- Where to buy?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Temp Silicon Rubber -- Where to buy?
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:27:05 -0600
If somebody has an Alpha 77 out there and they can pop the top off?  I'm
sure there is the manufacturers name somewhere on the rubber of the tube
chimneys.  Once you have the name like "Trojan Rubber Company" you can
search for their website on the Internet or look in a Thomas Register to
locate the company.  Then find the local distributor.

The units in the Alpha were not BLACK, sort of redish brown... so the
temperature range is incorrect if you are looking for the correct color
verses temp range.

I do remember every 77D/S I ever worked on was right at the edge of melting
the rubber as they stinked when running full bore.

Another method would be CALL or Email Alpha Power and tell them you are
restoring a couple legacy 77S's and need to remake chimneys and if they have
the name of the original supplier you could contact to buy the material..
Or if they had a bulk of the stuff left there.

Sometimes a little misdirection goes a long way.

If they refuse to be of assistance well then, that will tell you what sort
of company they have become, they would have bent over nicely for me in the
Olden Days.

I will say this, you cannot just stick in some rubber that you think is the
correct temperature range.

I had a mechanic get creative once with a 402 Cessna Twin.  He installed a
hunk of god only knows what in place of the correct heater hose in the A/C
and on take off at about 100 Knots the cabin filled with smoke...  NICE.

There's nothing like the burning eye syndrome while you are busy trying to
put out your radio with the wife yelling into the phone and "at you" at the
same time while dialing 911...

Been there - and the 30 minutes after is not pretty.

BOB DD