Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:40:02 -0700
Just a small clarification:

A 3 dB pad will increase the return loss byt 2*3dB = 6dB.

A 2.0:1 SWR is equivalent to a reflection coefficient of .333 and a
return loss of 9.542dB.  Therefore it takes a 4.77dB pad to guarantee a
input SWR of <= 2.0:1.

However let's think of it like this: Assuming an original SWR of 3.0:1,
then a 2 dB pad will produce a resulting SWR of 1.922:1.  A measly 6 ft.
piece of RG-58 coax between the transmitter and the amp will have less
than 0.2dB of loss at 28MHz which will not improve the input SWR much at
all.  Even if the 6 foot piece of coax is made from RG-174 the loss at
28MHz will only be 0.3dB which still won't do much.  Am I missing
something here?

73,
Larry, W0QE