[Amps] Converting T/R Relay to Vacuum Relays

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Converting T/R Relay to Vacuum Relays
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:28:21 -0800 (PST)

Hello...

I have an Ameritron AL80A that is working just great.  Yes, I do not load it
over 400 mills either.  Well, I am tired of the "clanky" relay that the amp
uses for T/R sequence and have been looking the internet for installing vacuum
relays.  There is quite a few people who have done this and there is a kit out
there for an SB220, but really nothing for the AL80A or like amps.

My thoughts are to use a Gigvac GH1HAM relay for the output and a reed relay
for the input (although I have yet to find a reed relay I like) and then used
electronic switch (TIP33 or something similar) to turn the amp on and off.
TheTIP33 would be in "series" with the input relay so the timing would be that
I would close the output relay before turning on the input relay.  I have read
papers by Tom and Ian about this, but has anyone done this that has a more
direct approach?  I want to stay with the 12 volt relays because I don't want
the hassle of producing 26.5 volts for the surplus relays.  The Gigavac relay
is just 69 bucks which I think is a bargain.

Comments from the learned?

Lee Buller
K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense devine?