Re: [Amps] fl2100b

To: <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] fl2100b
From: Kees - pa7two <pa7two@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:54:05 +0000
Hi Carl,

Look at the pics at the website of PA0FRI, the Dutch AMP guru. Go to the 'QRO'
page, then select 'FL2100' for the photos. All is explained on that page. Have
fun!Vy 73, de Kees > Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:12:14 -0500> From:
carlseye@tampabay.rr.com> To: pa7two@hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [Amps] fl2100b>
> Kees: In reference to your comments on the FL2100B, your comment no. 5 > says
"a thick copper cable" !! How thick?? 1/8 , ? 1/4 ? More > ?less?.also the part
about a "y"shape ?? I'm not sure what you mean by a > "y" shape!! Can you
explain that a bit.? (which end, ? or both? )> I have done most of the other
checks and such.!! I have also seen > this copper wire thing in reference to
SB200's also, including a picture > of one but the picture wasn'd very good and
I couldn't quite see how it > was done.!!> It's been quite some time , as you
can see from the date of my previous > messages and I'm still working on this
amp as I get the time. I'd > appreciate any further comments you might have on
the above questions.!!!!> Have a good day , my friend.!!!!> carl / kz5ca> >
Kees - pa7two wrote:> > Carl, > >> > I have been dealing with FL2100B's in the
past. I'l tell you my recommendations:> >> > Do the following mods in ANY case
before troubleshooting this amp.> >> > 1 - Meassure the ceramic caps (HF
compartment) in the amp. Most of them you will find in bad state, well under
the stamped CAP value. 9 out 10 times at least -25% capacitance I meassured.
Replace with Yaesu originals (I still have some of these if you need) or
equivalent models capable of at least 3kV and lots of current. > > 2 - The
blocking CAP between anode coil and antiparasite L&Rs is in most cases the
culprit of many problems. In EVERY amp I found this CAP to be defect! Heat of
the tubes and a whole lot of current & RF attacks this CAP and after 25 years
this CAP says bye bye. Replace with 1000pf/3kV Russian type ceramic CAP. Cheap
and these are VERY good quality ceramic CAPs.> > 3 - Put a fuse in the anode
line. Use a fuse with rating 630ma type: Fast. Every time a oscillation occure,
this fuse will blow and not your tubes. Shunt the fuse with some HV caps 10 -
22nf.> > 4 - Replace the tubes wit a new matched pair, nowadays a matched pair
high quality tubes Chinese make er cheap and performs really well. Look on ebay
for a K5 (USA station, he uses his allsign in this ebay name as well) he sells
100% OK Chinese tubes and cheap too. 69 dollar for a set of tubes or so.> > 5 -
The earth pins on the tube socket needs to be contacted to the earth connection
on the PLATE capacitor. Reason is that the negative current flow has to go thru
all the bolted compartments. These amps are at least 25 years old and thus
corrosion took place. Connecting the earth pin of the tubes to the earth point
of the PLATE cap ensures a good path. Use a THICK copper cable for this
purpose. In a Y shape.> > 6 - Protect the meters on the frontpanel with two
diodes crossed. If any shootover occures, at least your meters are still OK.
Use at least 5 amp diodes, high voltage.> > 7 - Screen resistors are in 50% of
the amps I had to deal with not anymore 33ohm. Replace these old 33 ohm
resistors with 3 x 100 ohm /2 watt resistors, >>carbon composite type<<!! Put
them in parallel use, = 33 ohm!> > 8 - The resistors in the anti parasite L&R
construction. They have to be 22 ohm in value. In 50% of the amps I had to deal
with these resistors were or burned out or open. A common classical case for
not surpressing the oscillations! Use 22-50 ohm, at least 2 watt, place them
OUTSIDE the coil. Again, only carbon composite resistors, ensure that there are
no metal caps on the end of the resistors!> > 9 - A good resource for how to
deal with these kinda issues, go the the wesite of EIMAC and download "Caring
and Feeding" book in electronical form free of charge, an excellent tube book.>
>> > Sorry for my spelling misstakes, but wanted to help you quickly and have
no spelling check on this PC.> >> > Let me know the progress you made after
performing these modifications. I hope this helps?> >> > With kind regards,> >>
> Kees - pa7two - m5wto.> >> >> > LetYourFingersTalk! > >> > AmateurRadio :
PA7TWO - M5TWO U.K.S.M.G. # 1244> >> > 50MHz = The *M*A*G*I*C* band!> >> >
Morse Code — One of the romance languages.> >> > (C)continues (W)ave, the
oldest DiGiTaL mode used by Radio Amateurs.> >> > > >>> "Give a guy more tubes
and they'll just wind up the juice" <<> >>> > >> > >From 'This Book Will Save
Your Life' by A.M. Homes:> > And the cop taking the report is saying to
Richard, "I just want to get this right. You were driving behind them and the
car started talking to you?"> > "SOS, SOS," Richard says, "in Morse code."> >
"And what's that, Morse code? Is that something I should know?"> > "Yes,"
Richard says.> > Cop: "Some kind of high-tech Internet talk?"> >> >> >> >