[Amps] W6PO 2m amp

To: amps@contesting.com, vhftubeamps@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amps] W6PO 2m amp
From: Hugh Duff <hduff@cogeco.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 18:31:46 -0400
Hello all !

I'm testing the homebrew W6PO amp that I just completed and I seem to be
having trouble getting more than 300 watts out of it.
Before I powered it up I tuned the input and output sections for minimum
SWR at 144.1 MHz using an MFJ-259 antenna analyzer.

I have the amp connected to an FT-847 exciter and a large Bird dummy
load.  HV is between 2500 and 3000vdc on the plate.  I see about 300mA
current on the plate when I'm getting 300 watts out but very little
current on the grid meter, which I find a bit odd. I 'm using a G3SEK
Triode board to provide the bias and control. I do see 12vdc bias on the
cathode during TX.

The 3CPX1500a7 tube was purchased as a medical pull. I have no way to
verify its condition so there is always a chance it's no good. This is
my first big tube amp so I'd like to make sure I'm not doing anything
wrong before I think about buying another tube.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

(Pix of the amp can be seen at  http://www.va3to.com  )

Thanks, Hugh VA3TO