Re: [Amps] Bird 43p mod??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 43p mod??
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:59:57 -0400
gd0tep@safe-mail.net wrote:
> Thanks Bryan,
>
> I know what it's like with the battery usage on the 43P, that's why I'd like
> to modify mine so I can use it with a 12v psu. I'm not sure there's much I
> can gain by changing to a device from LNA Technologies, even if you could
> get it... (check their web site, amateur stuff is bottom of a growing list
> of services)
>
> All I'm looking for is info on how to use my 43p, with a small 12v psu, I
> know it can be done, but all my searching on the net hasn't turned up
> anything yet.
>
> I realise that a bird 34 meter isn't an amplifier... but it connects to
> it... :)
>
> Any and all info very much appreciated...
>
> 73
> Andy
> http://gd0tep.com

The biggest power hogs with the Bird circuit are the two Zener shunt
regulators. I lifted one end of the diodes in my Bird which increased
battery life considerably. Before and after tests did not reveal any
difference in the measured power. If I remember correctly, the IC used
requires both pos and neg supplies hence the two batteries. I'm not
sure whether you could easily modify the Bird circuit for a single
supply. Another big problem with the Bird PEP mod is that the push
button switch and LED are on the side. It's very easy to depress the
switch while handling the meter and not know it. I think I'll buy
one of the newer boards and mount a toggle switch on the front where
it's visible.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)