Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Dipping the Pi network in a new amp?
From: STEVEN & NANCY FRAASCH <sjfraasch@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:05:30 -0400 (EDT)
I'd dispense with the grid dip and get an antenna analyzer.  Terminate as I
suggest (leave the tube in socket so that the tube parasitics are in place) and
look at the output port with the analyzer.  Don't forget to key the output T/R
relay (amp power off of course).

This method works fine in HF and beyond.  I am doing 20 GHz work now at work
and using the same method.  The terminations are 0402 resistors, not leaded
ones.

Also, not terminating the output will shift the result significantly, that is
why I prefer the terminated method with a grid dip and I'll take the broader
measurement.  But I don't use my grid dip any more.  Pay to get an analyzer, it
is well worth it.

73,

Steve, K0SF