Re: [Amps] Gassy Tubes/Technology Museum looking for artifacts

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Gassy Tubes/Technology Museum looking for artifacts
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:13:44 +0200 (MEST)
It appears that the date quoted on the German web-site for the 1625 was
wrong.

In the 1942 edition of the "RCA Guide for Transmitting Tubes" that
went to press
in October/November 1941 the 1625 was included and
was described as "Similar to 807 but has 12.6 V heater ... Especially
Useful in Aircraft Transmitters"

So the 1625 was around before Pearl Harbor.

Any reasons for RCA to choose the 7-pin base for the 1625 were not
mentioned, and they are probably buried deep into the sediments of
corporate logic. My guess is as good as anyone elses.

Regarding the 8018, it seems to be an interesting variation of the
807.
I found some variants, one with a normal phenolic base but quoting a
higher transconductance than the "regular" 807, and two with ceramic
bases, the RAF VT-60 and VT-60A.

The electrode system in the VT-60 shown at http://www.tubecollector.
org/vt60.htm
appears to be somewhat "skinnier" than the regular 807. If this may
have affected the VHF performance is uncertain.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM