Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 56, Issue 19

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 56, Issue 19
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 02:16:38 +0000
Hello Sulaiman, John,

> Another option you might consider is that the 8122 tubes are in
> demand by people who are restoring old amps, like the NCL-2000.

John has a good point there. I own a NCL-2000, which is working great,
but I'm using it on the basis that if I kill the tubes, I will have to
build or buy a new amp, because new 8122 are unreasonably expensive (a
German company quoted it at 2500 Euros!).

That's a consequence of RCA discontinuing this tube so long ago. I don't
know if Burle is still producing it. They seem to have been the last
manufacturer for it. In any case, if they still make it, they have a
monopoly!

So it would hardly be a good idea to use this tube in a new design.
Better make someone happy by selling him the tubes for his NCL-2000 or
one of the few others that used it, and get some more current tube for
your project!

Manfred.