Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Amps @Contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power transformer for 600 watt rig
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:33:24 -0400

>> Now with good solid state diodes chokes are a
> > thing of the past in power supplies that need good dynamic regulation.
>

> I thought you said a tuned choke was needed for that?
>
> A swinging choke and a low value cap can provide virtually identical
> performance to a fat cap or string. It comes down to a trade off in whats
> available and at what cost as well as size, weight and longevity.

No I said that if you were going to use a choke that it should be a tuned
choke. There is no way that you will get good dynamic regulation with a
regular choke or a swinging choke in an SSB power supply verses a capacitor
only filter. Static regulation may be fine with a choke but not dynamic
regulation.

Look again at what Jim Tonne posted and look at his spice model and you will
see the large dip as the load is supplied and the ringing.
Maybe Jim will post the model of the high voltage supply he is working on.

73
Gary  K4FMX