Re: [Amps] SELL: PL-172/8295a

To: Terry T <w7tlt@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SELL: PL-172/8295a
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:59:35 -0400
Terry T wrote:
> Hi all, I am parting out a old T-946/GRC-129 transmitter. I have the 8295A
> (untested) the socket with chimney and blower all on a sub chassis. For best
> offer, I have no idea what it is worth.

There are two versions of this tube. One is Metal ceramic and the other
is metal glass.  The ceramic version is about a 1/4 to 1/2" taller and
is the more desirable of the two.  Values vary widely from a little to a
lot for a good tested ceramic version so I can't really give a dollar
value. These are used in the HT-33 A and B series amplifiers.  The
original tubes used in these amps were the metal/glass PL172-8295A, but
the one of choice is the metal ceramic.   Both should be throughly
cooked with filament on before applying power.  With the metal/glass I'd
give it 3 or 4 days at least.
Big tube with coarse fins, easy to cool with a regular fan.

73

Roger (K8RI)