Re: [Amps] 234v - to convert or not?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 234v - to convert or not?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:00:17 -0700
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:07:56 +1200, Gary Hinson wrote:

>A rural mains supply from an (inadequate or faulty?) 10kV pole
>transformer and about 2 hundred yards of 240V 3-phase wiring to the house,
>hence all the house lights dimmed/flickered annoyingly when I transmitted.

In the grand scheme of things, the power to run a legal-limit ham amplifier
is not a lot of current at 240 volts. Here in the US, it's common for homes
to have that much load in the form of a couple of portable plug-in space
heaters, not considering lighting, refrigerator, and other appliances!

I don't know how things work in ZL, but in W/K-land, it's the
responsibility of the mains power supplier (the power company) to provide
good power at my premises. So my first move would be to get on the phone
and tell them to fix it. Pronto!

73,

Jim K9YC