Re: [Amps] RF Interference

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Interference
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:23:48 -0500
Most of this consumer "crap" was never designed with thoughts of rfi.
If it passes the emission standards (if any) for them it is good to go
At least being a ham the stuff I design for my customers is tested for
performance in presence of rf and other power line noise.
I would try 0.01mfd disc ceramics across the pushbutton leads and maybe one
from each side to ground or common on the circuit board. Also, make sure
there is same across dc power to micro chip(s) do this right at the chip
with short leads.
Good luck! How a micro responds to interference can be very tricky and
difficult to tame. It sounds like the rfi is sending micro off into place it
can't escape from and needs reset from cycling power.
Sometimes it helps if ac power to device is run through a toroid to keep rf
from coming in on ground.
BTDT
73 Paul K0UYA