[Amps] Loading issue

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Loading issue
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:50:26 -0600
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:10:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: [Amps] Strange Loading Issue
To: amps@contesting.com

My friend has a AL80A...generic amplifier.? In fact, I sold it to him.? He
was having some issues loading it so I went over to his house and took a
look.? This amp worked great for me for about 5 years or so.

We were going into a 40 meter antenna which gave an SWR reading of 1.1 to
1.? Very low.? Seemed to me to be OK.....

The amp would go to 400 mills and 160-170 mills on the grid with about 73
watts of drive. Around 600 watts.? I could dip the plate and see the peak on
the watt meter. ? Seems reasonable to me.? But, the load control on the amp
had no effect on the grid current or the plate current.? I could almost put
the load control anywhere and it would not affect the meters what so ever.?
Now, this had never happened to me before when I owned the amp.? The load
control was .... working normally to my thinking and I could adjust the load
of the amp and bring down the grid current to around 120 mills.? Kind of has
be baffled as to why it is doing this.? I do not think it is normal.

Does this "august" group have any words of wisdom?

Lee - K0WA

A friend of mine sent his AL80B in for a checkup and when it came back, it
would not tune properly. He called Ameritron up and they told him it was
fine when it left their shop, to check for loose hardware. It wound up being
the set screws on the knob of the tune cap. Evidently they came loose in
shipping and the plate tune cap was not moving at all. Worth checking all
the set screw in this case as well.

Danny NG9R