Re: [Amps] Input impedance of pair 3-500z's in GG

To: "Jerry K" <w5kp@hughes.net>, "MIKE DURKIN" <patriot121@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input impedance of pair 3-500z's in GG
From: "Dan Hearn" <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:09:47 -0800
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Jerry K
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:09 AM
To: MIKE DURKIN
Cc: amps@contesting.com

During the time I owned it, I drove my Swan MK II with Johnson Rangers,
a Kenwood TS-530SP (6146's), a Kenwood TS-450S/AT, a Yaesu FT-900AT, an
FT-1000D, and a few other miscellaneous cats and dogs. It never once
hicupped, nor did any of the above rigs have any problem driving it.
Having been exposed to a few later model fancier amps since then I wish
I had the MK II back. I suppose it's worth noting that all the solid
state rigs had built-in tuners, all of which handled the input of the MK
II just fine. Of course, the Rangers and the TS-530SP didn't much give a
rip what they transmitted into, they just tuned up and worked. :)
73, Jerry W5KP

MIKE DURKIN wrote:
> I didnt know the Swan Mark II didn't have an input matching network, my
only experience is with the SB220 and HL2k witch do have input networks. If
its not needed, then is it to help keep harmonic transmition down while the
input impeadence is not close to 50ohms?? I havea yokogawa P9306UL medical
liner that has grounded grid 3-500z's - are you saying that i can remove the
input network?? I have a FT-450AT that i would like to use with it.

> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:49:31 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Input impedance of pair 3-500z's in GG
> To: patriot121@msn.com
>

> In a message dated 12/13/2008 8:12:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> patriot121@msn.com writes:
> Yes,
>   but dosn't the impedance vary wildly throughout the AC wave form??
> Isnt
>   that why the input circuitry is there ... because a solid state
transceiver
>   cant handle the changes....
>

> Yes that is true, but one can notice that an amplifier such as a Swan Mark
> II  which has no input matching network can be used with a radio such as a
> Yeasu FT-847 with fairly good success.  For 2 reasons, one is that the 847
> does not fold back on swr as quickly as most other radios ESPECIALLY
ICOM'S and