[Amps] Cathode Z GS35b

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Cathode Z GS35b
From: "David Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:51:45 -0500
    Anyone have a fairly accurate figure on this?  I read everything I can
find- have found everything from 20 ohms to 110 ohms.  The Russian tube spec
sheets don't contain this information.
    The one solid value I found on a particular webpage (90 ohms as I recall)
wasn't accurate, at least for the tube I am using.  In that case I designed my
own tunable Pi input (6m monoband).  It tuned perfectly (roughly half-meshed
each cap) using a resister/capacitor to ground in parallel to simulate the
cathode Z of 90 ohms, in situ it doesn't use near as much capacitance as I
expected, though it does work like fine & is fairly broad. I am not sure how
much drive the circuit is losing as a result however.
    Asking because I built another one previously using the "T" input that
seems popular (yes, I have read that the "T" is really a "pi" when one takes
into account the tube capacitance).  The circuit is generally ~4000pf silver
mica in series from the RF in relay to a 10 turn 5/8" coil, variable ~20-120pf
cap to ground and another 10 turn 5/8" coil to the cathode (fed in my case thru
a .01 RF rated ceramic cap in series for blocking).  Maybe I haven't found the
"magic touch" with the T- this circuit seems extremely hi Q, I am having a
devil of a time now getting the first amp input tune to go below 2 to 1.  Best
I could get in the past was 1.7 to 1.... had a problem with the fixed bias,
repaired it, and now for whatever reason can't get the tuned input circuit
under 2 to 1.  Squeezed, expanded, removed turns... Am about ready to forget
using the T as the tuned input unless I can find the right cathode Z to
simulate.  It is a PITA to repeatedly tweek the coils & completely as
 semble & test the circuit in situ.  73 Dave N3DB