[Amps] Vintage Bandswitches; for Homebrew

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Vintage Bandswitches; for Homebrew
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:10:54 -0800

Since I was a kid, I usually had in the junkbox (garage)  WWII vintage QRO
parts and various boxes.   There were lots of various tuner boxes that I later
learned were often installed in B-17s and other bombers.  The construction was
MASSIVE, but a bit crude, at least cosmetically... no Silver plating, and
dainty precision formed contacts here.  There was a common bandswitch in a
tuner that I found a crude picture of on the web:
http://www.pa6z.nl/PROJECTS/136KHz_trx/a_Resize_of_band_switch1.jpg

That had large, heavy contacts, and wipers,  heavily tin plated, and massive
ceramic structures.   Simple plain, large, but robust.  Are there any plusses
or minuses that folks have exprienced in using this switch in a home brew QRO
amp?
Best,
Pat, AA6EG