Re: [Amps] one mor SB-220 fix

To: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>, "Amp Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] one mor SB-220 fix
From: "kingwood" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:55:34 -0500
Gary,

        What you say about the RF choke reducing arcing is correct, but this
is just one of its several functions.

         Your point about  C1 arcing is a valid point.  But, what if, as you
say, it was set near minimum capacitance, and does not arc?  When my problem
happened, I was operating on 20 meters.  I found no evidence of C1 arcing,
just a fried (actually melted down) RF choke and an arced TR relay.  At any
rate, the damage was substantial to the front end of my FT-1000D.

        The RF choke may be only rated at 125 Ma for continual use,  but
what happens, instantaneously, during a "Big Bang?"  I have no way of
measuring the peak current, but think it is safe to say that it would be
several amps, often resulting in vaporizing the choke.  I see this quite
often with the grid chokes. They are the same chokes as used across the
output.  Of course, they are subjected to a very different current flow than
the output choke, even in a "Big Bang."

 73 de Lon, K5JV

1110 Golden Bear Ln.
Kingwood, TX 77339