Re: [Amps] parasitic oscillation techniques

To: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>, <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] parasitic oscillation techniques
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:02:43 -0400
The discussion is about the 3-500 and the SB-220 in particular. Why add
other tubes that are inherently stable or do you just want to water down the
discussion?

Just about anybody can build a stable amp given enough time. A one-off is a
no brainer. A monobander is a no brainer also.

The problem is to build thousands of them in kit form that are constructed
by persons of a wide range of skill levels.

The problem is to keep factory built amps from destructive behavior as is
known with the AL-82, AL-80 series, SB-1000, various Henry's, TL-922A, and a
few others.

That requires tackling the source of the problem, not the symptom with
makeshift cures and other hack procedures.

OTOH, there are a few fully GG 3-500 factory amps that appear 100% stable.
My 1988 one owner, beat to death, set contest records for many years,
original tubes, LK-500ZC has never even popped a breaker. And it still puts
out 1200W even on 10M with the original parasitic suppressors.

Carl
KM1H