[Amps] "noninductive" resistors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] "noninductive" resistors
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 23:30:31 -0600
Have to be careful when using "non inductive" style resistors such as
listed here,
for RF service. As was pointed out, watch for the spiral grooved film
resistors. But many of the others that say "non inductive" such as the
Caddock use a serpentine conductor that bends back and forth, each turn
cancelling the fields from the previous. Unfortunately, it doesn't
appear low inductance at higher frequencies. Another style is quoted to
use Aryton Perry winding. Again, it cancels out the inductance, but
remains somewhat inductive, enough for inductive reactance at higher
freq. I think these resistors are probably fine to several MHz, but not
to 30 or to VHF. The film on substrate type are better. And the best are
the bulk carbon style, with old-fashioned Globars (rods) being among the
best RF resistors.

When in doubt, use an impedance meter, network analyzer or component LRC
meter to check these parts before assuming they will be prefect Rf
resistors. You might be in for a surprise.
73
John
K5PRO