[Amps] Fw: {Collins} 30S-1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: {Collins} 30S-1
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:42:54 -0700
From: Gary Smith
To: Carl
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] {Collins} 30S-1

I had one that was on loan to me for a couple of years. after dealing with the
known relay problems and getting them somewhat cured, all was well until one
day in the middle of a QSO my signal fell off dramatically.
Seems that both fuses on the control board had gone south, which led to a guess
ht the tube's grid had shorted out against the interior of the tube. As I did
not have a spare to test with, I returned it to its owner who told me that was
why he had loaned it to me.
"Too many ongoing hassles," he said.  All would probably agree that it was a
good amp for the Po (continuous until hell freezes over, etc) in its day, but
newer and more modern amp designs and tube developments have superseded it by a
long shot.
Gary...wa6fgi