[Amps] water cooling tips

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] water cooling tips
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:58:13 -0700
Jim Tonne is correct, not only for the filter but for the bottles that clean up
big cooling loops. They call this technique a sliptstream process, where it is
a side loop with about 5-10% of the main flow. We use Culligan unibed and
oxygen bottles in what is called a polishing loop, the two of them not only
remove ionics but also oxygen from the water. In larger tubes that can boil
water (like vapor and multiphase cooling), Eimac adn the other manufacturers
want very low dissolved oxygen as well.

Pure DI water can get as resistive as 18 Megohm-cm, which is about the
theoretical limit. This water would be very difficult on fittings and metals as
it will scavenge ions, which causes migration through the hoses, and can plate
the metal ions elsewhere. It is very difficult to maintain this perfect water
in this condition, as it degrades as it strips whatever ions it can through the
cooling system. You don't want pure DI water, but a compromise between 100
kilohm-cm and a few Megohm-cm is appropriate for most high voltage systems that
need cooling.

73
John
K5PRO