Re: [Amps] ALS-1300... IMD ??

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALS-1300... IMD ??
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:07:11 -0500

> What is the TX  IMD on this amp, when running full bore  at
> 1200 w pep out ??    I suspect it won't be good.   The
> ALS-600 is only -25db

The ALS-1300 is effectively two ALS-600 amplifier boards in
parallel with splitter/combiner on the input/output. There
are some minor changes in bias and control but they should
not effect operation/performance.

> I wonder if this new ALS-1300.. or any of the existing  KW
> output  SS amps   have the same reduction in eff... when
> power reduced.

That's inherent in a fixed tuned (e.g. "broadband") design.
The voltage remains the same while the current changes so
the input/output impedances become significantly higher
than the design point.  Try tuning your tube amplifier
for 1500 Watts into a dummy load then reduce the drive by
75% without retuning and calculate efficiency ... you will
see a similar decrease in efficiency.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV