Re: [Amps] Resistor before the capacitor REDUX

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor before the capacitor REDUX
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:44:28 -0700
Bill, W6WRT writes:

"ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:04:30 -0700, "Jim  Garland" <4cx250b at muohio.edu
wrote:

>(Actually, I've multiplied all the results below by 100, since I used a 30V
>supply to simulate an HV supply with a no-load output of 3000V.)

REPLY:

If you are going to drop the supply from 3000 to 30 V, shouldn't you
drop the load from 2200 to 22 ohms also?

Even then, I'm not sure this is a correct simulation. It should be
tried at full voltage to be sure.

73, Bill W6WRT

It's not a simulation, Bill, it's actually a measurement on a real power
supply. All the results scale linearly with voltage, so there's no need to
test the results at different voltages. The various time constants, and
hence waveforms, depend only on the resistance  and capacitance and do not
vary with voltage. In any case, the scaled-up results in my table parallel
what one sees in an operating amplifier with a capacitor input filter, such
as a Drake L4B. Ten percent regulation is pretty typical for HV supplies
used in legal limit ham amplifiers.
73,
Jim W8ZR