Re: [Amps] QSK-5 insertion loss...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK-5 insertion loss...
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:58:38 -0700
Paul,

There are two kinds of loss: dissipative and non-dissipative.  A 1 dB
dissipative loss at 1500W is  308W which would clearly blow up the QSK-5
in a second or two.  However crummy wiring in an enclosure which raises
the VSWR to 2.66:1 will cause a mismatched loss (into a 50 ohm load) of
1.00dB and dissipate virtually no heat.  Likewise a shunt capacitance at
28MHz of 115pF will raise a 50 ohm VSWR to 2.66:1 and again will produce
a mismatched loss of 1.0dB.  Also 8" of wiring in a box that looks like
a 300 ohm transmission line will also raise the VSWR and produce a
mismatched loss of 1.0dB on 28MHz.

I suspect you have some of all the above taking place.  Mismatched loss
can be mitigated retuning the PI-L output where dissipative loss can not
be eliminated.

73,
Larry, W0QE