Re: [Amps] Resting plate watts with An 8877

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resting plate watts with An 8877
From: mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:15:37 -0600
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:03:46AM -0500, Carl wrote:
> With the 50W concentrated at the socket pins.
>
> Carl
>

> > Dr. Gary, How are you?  In the case of the  AL-1500
> >

> > Filament 5v X10A= 50 watts

Why would the filament heat be concentrated at the socket pins? If that
were the case, then the filament itself wouldn't be getting hot, which
would mean that there would be no electron emission and the tube wouldn't
work.

If you're thinking that the socket pins will get hot from ohmic heating,
then you're postulating high-resistance connections between the pins and
the socket contacts, which would be A Very Bad Thing.

I think that the filament is going to heat the grid and plate the most, by
radiation, because it's closest to them, while there will be less heating
by conduction down the filament connections to the tube base and through it
to other parts of the tube.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea@mikea.ath.cx