Re: [Amps] stero to mono

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] stero to mono
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 12:51:37 +0000
Hi  Frank  ÖñáãêéáäÜêçò Ðáíáãéþôçò:

> 1) I want to bridge a stereo amplifier (solid state ) 2 absolutely separate
> channels to one
> 2) this one channel I want to drive a modulator transformer for anode
> modulation
> QUESTIONS                            (spelling corrected)
> a) any schematic for the bridge? (input and output)
> b) what way to modulate in order to protect the transistor amplifier
> c) any schematic for an audio (final) amplifier with tubes push pull perhaps??

   First; you need an input AUDIO transformer to go between the ONE audio
preamplifier and the two x
500 Watts transistor amplifiers that has a single primary winding that matches
the output impedance
of the audio preamplifier and has a single CENTER TAPPED secondary winding that
HALF of the
secondary winding matches the input impedance of ONE audio 500 Watt amplifier,
so the two 500 Watts
amplifiers are amplifying signals that are 180 degrees out of phase.  (the
center tap would be
grounded, to create a single 1,000 Watt "bridge amplifier")  An input AUDIO
transformer with two
single secondary windings would also work.

   Second; you need an OUTPUT AUDIO transformer to go between the ONE 1,000
Watt "bridge amplifier"
and the plate power supply (and screen power supply {if there is one} possibly
through a high
Voltage capacitor, the screen Voltage may have to go through an audio choke
coil) and the R.F. choke
of the 2,000 Watt R.F. amplifier (this is over about five time the PEP power
allowed in the United
States and their territories) and must provide an AUDIO Voltage about half of
the supply D.C.
Voltage.  The secondary must be insulated for slightly over two times the D.C.
Voltage.  This is a
modulation transformer.  (with no leakage to the laminations (iron) or the
primary winding)

   We HAMS have not been building high level modulated A.M. transmitters for
many years (A.M.
transmissions suffer from heterodyne interference which becomes horrific in a
crowded HAM band) so I
recommend you refer to HAM handbooks dated from the late 1940s to 1970 or so
for more information
about high level modulated transmitters.

   We are open for more questions.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The next election, I know what is going to happen, I'm going
to help.