Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

To: billdz.geo@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 08:37:41 EDT
Bill, Any tube run within its specified limits is OK, however with ham
radio the limiting factor is cooling.  You have to take into account that  tube
specs are listed for CCS operation.  This assumes that the tube is
receiving the specified amount of cooling which is ALSO a spec on the tube data

chart.  So the question to your question is this.  Does your amp  provide a
CCS rated amount of cooling?  This is not an answer to your  question but
rather the information you really want to know.  If you could  find the
operating temperature of the glass envelope of the 3-500, you can buy a  rather
inexpensive infra red thermometer and shoot the temperature of the  envelope
when you are running WSJT at the end of the transmission and see what  the
temperature is and if it is in the ballpark.  On the other hand perhaps
someone
knows for sure what the level of cooling is in your amp and if it is  100%
up to the CCS rating of the tube.  If you are savvy about the anode  color
of a 3-500 under normal CCS operation you can probably tell if the tube is
within limits.  I don't know if this helped you, but I think this is the
information you are after.  Lou

In a message dated 5/23/2010 8:25:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,