Re: [Amps] Henry 2k Classic X 1214A?

To: "'Sam Carpenter'" <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2k Classic X 1214A?
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 00:55:45 +0700
I have the 2K Classic X amplifier but with the ECA1171 transformer as
indicated in the manual. Not seen any mention of the 1214A, what is it? Amp
certainly does the job. Needs plenty of drive but with about 3.9kV off load
mine drops to about 3500 with just a carrier and just about pegs a 2kW
meter. A fraction over 2kW on a bird 2.5kW slug. I know that my supply is
weaker than it could be so think that contributes to some loss. Probably a
fraction more on voice. It is properly set up for 50Hz with the extra
resonating cap for the filter.

Having lived with one a while here's my P's and C's

Pro's
Simple
Easy to work on
Easy to tune
Probably the meatiest commercial 2x3-500Z amp

Cons
Heavy
Weak blower (at least on 50Hz)
Use of Johnson sockets as opposed to Eimac air system sockets restricts air
further
Clunky T/R relays
Needs step start
HV switch for CW/SSB (4kV right behind that panel switch)
Did I say heavy?

All in all a keeper though no fast band changes and no 160, neither a
concern to me. A real workhorse for sure and properly cared for will easy
last several lifetimes. Many already have!

Cheers
Martin, HS0ZED