Re: [Amps] New 2 PA design

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New 2 PA design
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 07:57:05 +0100
I'm drifting off topic a little but is it not preferable for heat transfer
purposes to run several lower power transistors in parallel to reduce hot
spots?  There is also the opportunity to have redundancy, ie if one in a
string dies, the amplifier can still work.  The transistors will also be
significantly cheaper.  Matching input and output will be more difficult but
the robustness obtained is more desirable than minimum parts count.  The
layout will be more of a challenge to achieve the highest frequencies.
Perhaps from a commercial point of view this is less desirable but for home
builders easier to achieve high power in a small space, which will become
the dominant restriction.  Water cooling is a lot quieter and smaller than
fan cooling : - )

David
G3UNA