[Amps] older 3k

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] older 3k
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:05:18 -0800
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:28:10 -0500
From: "MR.DEBONAIR" <debonair@centurylink.net>

I HAVE THE OLDER 3K AND THE TUBES STOP LIGHTING UP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY
IDEAS?
THANKS,
JIM ARNOLD
DEBONAIR@CENTURYLINK.NET

##  I believe the henry 3-500Z amps wire the fils in series.  IE: they use a 10
V @ 15V  fil
xfmr, instead of a  5 V @ 30A  fil xfmr.    IF one tube's fil goes open....
they BOTH go out.

##  There is plenty of air with the squirell cage blower  set up, and chimneys,
so dunno  why
the solder would melt on the fil pins.    You may want to check the fil pins,
and also the
socket contacts itself.    Easy to see if either fil went open,  just stick an
ohm  meter
across each one.

##  If you see any  ....'blue'  on any of the socket connections or tube fil
pins, then you know the
temp has hit at least 700+ DEG F   at some point in the past.   You will see
that same blue colour
when you look at the oven racks in ur wifes oven..after you have run it through
the self clean cycle.
You will see the same blue on the ends of soldering Iron tips as well.

## make sure the fil xfmr/bifilar has  10V   from it.  [ or 5 v if tubes in
parallel].

later... Jim   VE7RF