Re: [Amps] What to buy?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to buy?
From: "Roger (Sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:38:35 -0500
On 1/26/2011 8:17 PM, Alek Petkovic wrote:
> You're obviously not worried about obsolete tubes then?

Nope,

The DX-2sp uses the Chinese FU728F or with the change of a filament
voltage tap a 4CX1500B. The DX-3sp has the same option.
> I have a Emtron DX-2 which runs the Svetlana 4CX1600B (GU91B). It is
> unobtainium.

But Emtron will change it to use the new tubes. How much they charge I
don't know, but they will convert the old amps to use the new and more
readily obtainable tubes. They will replace the entire tube subchassis.
Contact Rudi for details.

> The GU78 and GU84B have all but gone the same way.
>
> I would stay clear of those tubes unless you stock up with a few
> spares when you buy the amp. In a few short years, you will NOT be
> able to find a spare for love or money.
The only amp Emtron has using one of those that I know of, is the DX-4sp.
The OM amps?  I've been told the larger tubes are still in production,
but are batch produced.  I am not sure as to the accuracy of that, but
I'd keep it in mind.  I'd also pick up a spare tube or two just in case.
<:-))

Of course there is the DX-5 which uses a readily available tube even
though the tube costs more than my complete DX-2sp. <:-))  4CX5000R with
an external "3 phase" power supply.

73

Roger (K8RI)