Re: [Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply

To: wb2aio@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB 200 blown diodes in power supply
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:55:22 EDT
Kathy, considering the SB200 has been around more than 40 years and yours
lasted that long without the soft start modifications, one might hope it
would  continue on a few more years without them.

What is a really likely scenario is the old electrolytic capacitors have
gone bad and in need of replacement. There are a number of capacitor sources,
 even on Ebay. New capacitors will not mount in the same manner as the old
ones  so some ingenuity will be needed. Silicon adhesive is crude and ugly
but works  well.

There are better diodes available than the originals, such as 1N5408 and
others. You can find them for around twenty five cents or so brand new at
Mouser  Electronics and other sources.

There is no need for equalizing resistors and capacitors with modern diodes
 so those parts can be removed. If it is easier to install new diodes on
the  reverse side of the board, then no harm; the electrons don't care.

I hope it goes well with your repairs.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 3/24/2011 11:16:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,