Re: [Amps] Fw: Source for plate xfrmer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Source for plate xfrmer
From: Martin A Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:18:45 -0500
Pete,
There was an exception that allowed use of the neutral as a ground for
cooking appliances, supposedly to save copper.  (note Canada never
allowed this exception).  It has since been removed from NFPA 70.
Likely your home was built when the exception was in force.

Fair Use Excerpt.(Copyright NFPA):

*250.140 Grounding (Bonding)---Ranges, Ovens, and Clothes Dryers.*

*The frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted
cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet boxes that are part of the
circuit for these appliances must be grounded (bonded) to an effective
ground-fault current path by an equipment grounding (bonding) conductor
of a type specified in 250.118 [250.134(A)].Figure 250--181

Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations, where an equipment
grounding (bonding) conductor isn't present in the outlet box, the
frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking
units, clothes dryers, and outlet boxes that are part of the circuit for
these appliances can be grounded (bonded) to the grounded neutral
conductor if all the following conditions are met:Figure 250--182
*

 1. *The circuit is 120/240V or 120/208V. *
 2. *The grounded neutral conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG copper or
    8 AWG aluminum. *
 3. *The grounded neutral conductor is insulated, or it's uninsulated
    and part of a Type SE cable and the branch circuit originates at
    service equipment. *

73 Martin Flynn