Re: [Amps] LK 550-ZC

To: "'Rob Atkinson'" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK 550-ZC
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:13:37 -0400
I use mostly CW, with varying lengths of transmission. But there's a big
difference between the modes I use for operating and what I did to test the
tube temperature before and after the mod. I transmitted continuous CW; I
went key down, continuous RF for as long as I could at full power; I reduced
power and transmitted even longer, as I would if I was doing a typical RTTY
QSO, and repeated the sequence for several minutes. I also measured the tube
temperature while operating in CW contests. I did my best to simulate the
toughest conditions I expected the amp to endure, driven not just by me but
by subsequent owners, without exceeding the tube ratings.

I wouldn't be surprised if my testing was more rigorous and my measurement
equipment was more accurate than what Denny used when he designed the amp.
No way I wanted to replace three 3-500Zs or any other components in the amp.

73, Dick WC1M