Re: [Amps] Slightly off topic

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Slightly off topic
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:28:26 -0400
On 4/17/2012 6:35 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 04/14/12 11:34 PM, rick darwicki wrote:
>> Anyone had any problems with the new solid state computer drives? Blowing
>> them away with RF or RFI ???
>>

>> Rick, N6PE
>    From what I gather, they are pretty unreliable - it does not need any RF
> around
> them! From what I can gather, they are far less reliable than hard disk
> drives.

I have 3 machines with them and will probably have a 4th soon.  The 4th
fails to boot on over 75% of cold boots and comes up with the error
message to insert the system disk and run repair.  If I just reach up
and hit "reset" it reboots quickly.   Shutdown and restart also works. I
don't remember it failing yet.  I have a feeling there is a problem with
the mechanical C drive spinning up.  As I need to swap out the drive to
prove it anyway I might as well do it with a good SSD and SSDs are
available in a wide range  of quality and speed.   They are not a place
to buy cheap.  You need to find one with good specs and good
reliability.  If for nothing else go to NewEgg and read the user
write-ups on them. Some are good and some are not so good. Like on here
there are those with experience and those with out including those
writing reports who've never owned one.

The only problem I've had with a machine using a SSD (this one)  has
been the BSOD a number of times, but the error message is video driver
failed.  I have a feeling it's actually the video card.
One of the two in the shop has a field strength meter on top of the
case.  When on 40 that thing is banging against the peg, but no SSD
problems yet.  So that machine with an SSD drive is in a very strong HF
RF field but has given no problems.

I've heard SSDs are not as good with data integrity, but so far I have
no complaints and am impressed with the speed.  My only complaint is
price.  I can still purchase two, 2 or 3 Terabyte HDs for the price of a
single 120 Gig SSDs even at the still elevated mechanical HD prices
since the floods last fall.

73

Roger (K8RI)