Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 20:13:30 +0000
> Some years ago, I discovered a 'cure' for the problems brought to my station
> by
> cheapie connectors.  They ALL went into the S***can!

Much the same here. And it's a real problem, because every connector I
can buy locally (Chile) is Chinese-made, and while the best of them are
satisfactory, most of the rest are junk.

But not always is the problem attributable to a bad connector. Very
often it's bad installation. I don't know how it's in the USA, but
around here it's truly surprising how few hams know that the holes in
the sides of a PL-259 connector are there to solder the braid! People
will strip the coax, push or thread it into the PL-259, solder the
center conductor, and leave the braid to contact the shell by proximity,
telepathy, good luck, or by the never-failing (so they think) spring
action of the plastic jacket...

Only the internal conductor is hot with RF, right? So it doesn't matter
if the braid makes no contact, right? That's what they think.

And then there are those who have emancipated from this step. They will
push the coax cable into the connector, and then try to somehow patch
those pesky solder holes with some half-melted, pasty solder. The braid
inside stays untouched.

Or those who want to do it right. They push in the cable, then heat the
whole connector with a torch, and flow abundant solder into those holes.
  This time the braid gets properly soldered to the body. And so does
the center conductor. To the body, I mean.

I have held workshops at three different radio clubs, to try teaching
people the correct installation of a PL-256 connector, and I have found
that many hams just plainly lack the ability to understand why it should
be that way, or the discipline to actually do all necessary steps,
specially tinning the connector body on the inside before pushing the
cable in, and tinning the braid...

I have seen PL-259 connectors in which the braid had been unbraided,
twisted into two bundles like Salvador Dali's mustache, pulled through
the solder holes, and the two ends knotted together outside the
connector's body! A great, safe contact, sure! ;-)

Oops, I'm in ironic mode today. Forgive me... Must be because it's 1st
of may...

Manfred