[Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Re: soldering vs crimping
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 13:00:14 -0400
   Dick WC1M wrote:

  <<
I'm with Carl on this one. Actually, the crimp N-connectors I use have
center pins designed to be crimped *and* soldered -- there's a little hole
in the side for soldering. I've found that there's so much variation in
center conductor size that crimping *and* soldering makes for the most
secure connection. The UHF crimp connectors I use all require soldering for
the center conductor -- you can't crimp it. As for the shield, there's no
question in my mind that crimping is superior to soldering. It's very
difficult to properly solder shield braid without overheating it and melting
the dielectric. I'm not saying it can't be done -- only that it's tricky.

   Once you learn how to properly trim and pre-tin the braid it is easy.

  <<
I've only had a few solder connector failures over the years, but they've
all involved either deformation of the dielectric due to overheating, or
breaking of the shield because it became brittle after soldering.

--
   Ron KA4INM